Monday, May 18, 2009

Antique fair

This weekend Chris (my boyfriend) and I went to an antique fair in Auburn. We had a lot of fun looking at vintage items - Chris even found a prescription for cocaine and heroin dating back to the post-WWI era! Since he is studying to be a high school history teacher, I encouraged him to consider getting this to show his future students, but he said it was too controversial...he was probably right.

I found a lovely basket of hand-dyed wool, unfortunately it wasn't spun into thread so I couldn't use it for one of my crochet projects. It did make a for a pretty picture though.

I love vintage china (but know little about it) and had to practice a great deal of restraint at the fair. There were so many lovely patterns to chose from, but since I don't have room in my tiny apartment for hardly anything else, I had to find a pattern sufficiently manly enough that Chris would keep it for me in his house. He was the one that spotted it - a set of 8 teacups and saucers from the Johnson Brothers Heritage Hall collection. I ended up paying $50.00 for it. Today I looked up the pattern on ebay, it's not that vintage or rare after all - I found several pieces selling for about the same price I paid, so I didn't get a bargain, but I did get an interesting set of teacups. (This morning I talked to Mom on the way home - she reminded my that I will be getting a set of Grandma's china, so I will have to restrain myself in the future.)

This was a good weekend for me, I had fun (but not too much fun) and was able to stay in the moment. Maybe I'm finally stabilizing again...it's about time!

1 comment:

  1. "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same and still retain the ability to function...One should, for example, see that things are hopeless yet be determined to make them otherwise." ---F. Scott Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete